Quest in Time

Sunday, January 09, 2005

UML Modelling tools

We've been using VISIO for UML modelling for some time, as we use Visual Studio .NET and it comes with the enterprise edition. The problem is the UML template is for a very old version of UML (1.3?) and there's no likelyhood of an update given Microsofts entry into the fray with a competing modelling notation.

As an ex Rational Rose user I have been looking at the latest offerings from IBM under the Rational brand. Rose is still there, and having down loaded a trial version is very much as I remember it from 3 years ago. I don't think its even got to UML 2, and still supports Booch and OMT notation. Rose was always a very quirky tool to use and didn't fully enforce the UML metamodel.

I also downloaded an eclipse based UML modeller, which looked and behaved beautifully, is still from Rational, and seemed to fully support UML 2. I just havn't found a way of buying it yet, so I suspect its pre-release.

What I'm looking for is a tool thats cheap (I do work for a non-profit organisation), works with .NET, is model based, and is robust.